Apples and cranberries thanksgiving stuffing is not just a stuffing recipe, it is the base for many versions of bird stuffing, in which you can use nuts, chicken pieces, giblets and sausages. You can prepare the recipe with rice or bread, and in my opinion, rice is much better, especially with toasted cashews.
– ½ pound dark rye loaf, cubed or shredded into small pieces.
– 1 cup of dried cranberries, soaked into boiling water for 15 minutes.
– 2 green apples, diced.
– 3 celery stalks, chopped.
– 2 medium red onions, chopped.
– 1 package of herb seasoned stuffing mix.
– 2 tsp of caraway seeds.
– 8 tbsp of butter.
– 4 cups of chicken broth.
– While the cranberries are in hot water, toss the bread cubes in 2 or 3 tbsp of butter, spread them on a baking sheet and toast the bread in the oven. Allow it to cool in the fresh air.
– Meanwhile, melt the rest of butter and onions with celery until well cooked, add the apples and turn off the stove.
– Stir in the seasoned stuffing mix, drained cranberries and caraway seeds while you slowly pour the chicken broth.
– After all are mixed together, bake the stuffing in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes then serve it inside the turkey.
Adding varieties to this recipe will give you a wonderful taste, especially with fried chicken or chicken livers. I usually mix sweet and salty tastes by adding raisins or fruits, like adding the cranberries, and I use plenty of nuts.