The basic turkey bread stuffing is the simplest recipe that you prepare to stuff a 5 to 10 pounds turkey. It consists of bread, onions, celery, eggs, seasoning, butter and chicken broth. If you like to add other ingredients, like leftover chicken, it will also be a good idea to add taste, and a great alternative for those who dislike eggs.
– ½ cup of chopped onions “or scallions”.
– ½ cup of chopped celery.
– 4 cups of bread cubes, brushed with butter and toasted.
– ½ cup of butter.
– 2 beaten eggs.
– Salt, pepper, ground sage and poultry seasoning.
– Chicken broth “only if you are going to stuff the turkey while cooking”.
– Fry the onion in butter and after a few minutes add the celery. Continue frying until the onion is softened and the celery is a bit tender. Turn off the stove.
– In a baking pan, mix the butter-toasted bread with onion, celery, beaten eggs, salt, ¼ tsp of pepper, ¼ tsp of sage and ½ tsp of poultry seasoning. Add small amount of chicken broth and gently stir the stuffing until it is a bit moistened then bake in the over for 20 minutes until the eggs are cooked and the surface is golden or light brown.
– In case you’re going to stuff the turkey before baking, follow the same technique, but add more broth, so that the bread is too moistened, to prevent soaking up all moisture from turkey while cooking it.