Beef with spring vegetables and brown rice is a Thai recipe that is made with beef or veal slices browned and cooked with your favorite choice of veggies in lemon juice, soy sauce, sugar and water. The recipe is very quick as the beef slices are just fried twice for a few minutes, but I recommend that you use very thin veal or tenderloin slices and cook them for 30 minutes, for a healthier dish. You may use your favorite choice of vegetables and nuts, or cook the veal with rice, to give a very delicious taste.
– 300 gm of thin veal or tenderloin slices, marinated in simple onion-vinegar liquid.
– 1 cup of peas and carrots.
– ½ cup of chopped green beans.
– A few broccoli florets “optional”.
– 1 small red pepper, sliced.
– ¼ cup of peppermint leaves, or basil if you like it.
– 1 tbsp of soy sauce.
– 3 tbsp of lemon juice.
– 1 cup of toasted almonds.
– Salt, pepper and vegetable oil.
– Marinate the veal slices for at least 1 hour before frying.
– In a non-stick skillet, add 1 tbsp of oil and heat it well while you drop any excessive marinade off the veal slices.
– Fry the slices on high heat, letting each side down until browned and juices are left in the skillet. Make sure to fry on high heat, to keep the skillet as dry as possible.
– Transfer the slices to another plate and add another 2 tbsp of oil to fry the vegetables. In this stage you may prefer to add a small sliced onion and fry all on high heat until they take a dark brown color at the edges.
– Once they take that dark color, return the veal slices into the skillet, add the soy sauce with lemon and some water and bring the mixture to boil.
– Season with salt and pepper then cook for 20 minutes. Add the peppermint leaves and toasted almonds at the last 5 minutes of cooking.