As I want to celebrate this Christmas in a joyful, warm atmosphere, I decided to share one of my special recipes with you. This is my best rice stuffing recipe that I usually cook separately with meat cubes and lots of nuts. I like to mix dried fruits as well, as they are the best to flavor most rice and meat dishes.
– 500 gm of rice “2 large cups”.
– 300 gm of beef or veal “tender meat cut”.
– 1 large onion.
– 5 celery stalks.
– ½ cup of chopped scallion “green stalks only”.
– ½ cup of silvered almonds.
– ½ cup of toasted hazelnuts.
– ½ cup of walnuts.
– ½ cup of pine nuts.
– ½ cup of dried cranberries “soaked in hot water”.
– ½ cup of dried raisins “soaked in hot water”.
– 1 green apple, diced.
– Vegetable oil.
– 1 stock pot cube.
– Salt, pepper, cardamom, and cinnamon.
– Cut the meat into small cubes, and also chop the celery while you start frying the onion in 2 tbsp of oil.
– Add the celery after 2 minutes of frying on high heat, and meanwhile start grinding the spices for seasoning.
– In a separate skillet, fry the meat cubes in 2 tbsp of oil, stirring occasionally and sprinkling 1 tbsp of seasoning, until the meat takes brown color. You may add the chopped scallion stalks in the middle of frying, to add flavor and delicious taste.
– When the meat is fried and the scallion is tender, add 2 cups of water and cook on medium heat, dissolving some salt in the middle of cooking, until the meat is tender.
– Returning to the onion and celery, when they are tender, add the apple cubes, raisins and cranberries with the nut mix and fry all until the apples are half cooked.
You may add the rice at the end, with 2 tbsp of oil, and fry to coat the rice. Frying the rice for a few minutes prevents the stuffing ingredients from sticking together after cooking.
– When the meat is cooked, transfer it to a bigger pan and add the rice mixture with 2 more cups of water. Sprinkle ½ tsp of ground cinnamon with 3 cardamom buds and the stock pot cube.
– Stir all on high heat, to dissolve the stock pot cube and salt, then when the broth boils, cook on medium heat until the water is soaked up. Continue cooking on low heat until there is no moisture and the rice is tender. Serve with duck, turkey, ham or roast beef.