This recipe is derived from the African blueberry and cucumber salad. It is a perfect side dish for summer, picnics, parties, snacks and slimming diets. You can serve it chilled or in room temperature, and surely you can add your favorite ingredients to enhance the taste and nutritious value of this lovely dish.
3 large cucumbers.
1 cup of blueberries.
1 cup of walnuts.
½ bunch of watercress.
2 tbsp of olive oil.
A dash of ground pepper and salt.
3 tbsp of lemon juice.
½ tsp of lemon zest.
Italian garlic salad dressing.
1 tbsp of minced chives.
2 tbsp of capers.
Diced tomatoes or strawberries.
Grilled chicken slices.
A dash of sweet paprika or any other spices you like.
– Rinse the cucumbers, cut them into very thin slices then put them in a salad bowel.
– Clean the watercress leaves, rinse them with water and vinegar then chop them and put them with the cucumbers.
– Prepare the salad dressing by mixing olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and any spices you like together. You can use mayonnaise or mustard as well. Other kinds of salad dressing, which contain garlic and herbs, may go better with grilled chicken and tomatoes, but if you are using only cucumbers and blueberries, it is better to exclude any dressing the contains garlic or onion.
– Put the dressing in the cucumber bowel then toss all together to cover with dressing.
– Prepare the other ingredients, like tomatoes, strawberries, sweet pepper, grilled chicken, etc; by chopping all and adding to the salad bowl.
– The final step is to chop the walnuts, mix with 3 tbsp of sesame and toss in the salad bowl. I like using candied nuts and raw sesame, in general, to enhance the food taste and its nutritious value, but you may exclude them if you prefer something else.