The brown sauce duck salad is an amazing side dish that you can try for the Christmas dinner. As for me, I find it entertaining to cook duck for Christmas, and I’m sure that you will love this recipe too. Regarding the duck, I cook the duck slices in sour and sweet brown sauce, so that it gives the required taste for serving with the stuffing and toasted nuts. You can use smoked duck or duck leftover, if you don’t like the cooking method.
– 250 gm of duck breast, or cooked duck pieces.
– 2 medium onions, preferably red onions.
– 1 large green pepper.
– 1 medium red pepper.
– 1 large tomato, preferably hard tomato.
– ½ cup of chopped parsley.
– A few lettuce or watercress leaves.
– ¼ cup of grated carrots.
– ¼ cup of raisins, soaked in water over night.
– 1 tbsp of pomegranate molasses.
– 1 ½ cup of toasted cashews, separated into halves.
– Salt, pepper, grilling spices and vegetable oil.
– Cut the raw duck breast into extra thin slices, then divide each slice into halves or quarters, depending on how large the breast is.
– Chop one onion and fry it in a small pan, in 1 or 2 tbsp of oil.
– At the middle of frying, add the duck slices and fry all on high heat, stirring occasionally until are juices are gone and the duck slices have taken brown color.
– Add the spices and lower the heat then keep frying, to make sure there is no moisture left in the duck slices.
– Add the raisins, with their water, and season with salt and a dash of pepper. Add more water if needs then stir in the pomegranate molasses and bring the liquid to boil.
– Cook the duck slices for at least 20 minutes, or until they are well done, letting nothing but the brown onion sauce.
– While the duck is being cooked, chop the other red onion, tomato, and pepper into very thin slices, using sharp knife. Chop the watercress and parsley then mix all vegetables in the salad bowl.
– When the duck is cooked, allow it to cool then mix it with the salad ingredients, tossing the cashews while you’re seasoning the salad.
– For this recipe, you can make a wonderful dressing, if you don’t like the raw taste of vegetables. The dressing should consist of 1 tbsp of olive oil, 2 tbsp of mustard, a squeeze of lemon juice and your favorite salad spices or marinade. You may use French or Italian salad dressing instead.
– Using candied walnuts instead of cashews is the best addition for duck salad.
– Using grilled duck slices or grilled vegetables in this salad will give a magical taste. If you don’t have time for grilling, add a flavor with a piece of burning ember “let an empty space in the salad plate then toss the burning ember on 1 tbsp of melted butter; cover the plate with a large round lid to prevent the smoke from sneaking out. After 10 minutes, remove the lid and transfer the salad to another platter”.