Chicken marsala is an Italian dish made from chicken fillet, mushrooms, onion chops and marsala wine. Flour is often used to coat the chicken cutlets before frying, and some recipe variations use small amount of vegetables. Herbs, shallots, butter and olive oil are used in some regions, where the olive oil is popular in most Italian foods. After the chicken is added to the remaining consistency of wine-flavored syrup, it is braised or baked in the oven.
– 500 gm of boneless chicken cutlets
– Butter or olive oil for frying
– 1 cup of thinly sliced shallots
– ½ cup of sliced mushrooms
– 1 tbsp of minced garlic
– Salt and pepper for seasoning
– 1 cup of dry marsala wine
– 2 cups of flour
– 1 cup of frozen peas and carrots “increase the amount if desired”
– 1 chicken broth cube
– 1 tsp of fresh or dried herbs “such as basil, as it gives delicious taste”
Cooking Chicken Marsala:
– First of all, you will need to tenderize the chicken cutlets with a meat mallet – usually into ¼ inch thickness.
– When you’re done, grab a small bowl in which you mix a suitable amount of salt, pepper and minced or dried herbs with a tbsp of olive oil.
– Put the tenderized chicken cutlets in a glass bowl then pour the marinade and rub the cutlets well with your hands in this mix to flavor them.
– Let the chicken in the marinade for 15 or 30 minutes while you prepare the flour, shallots and mushrooms.
– Roll each cutlet in the flour until all are well covered from all sides.
– In a skillet, melt enough amount of butter and fry the chicken cutlets on medium heat on both sides.
– After all cutlets are fried, put them in a wide dish and melt another amount of butter in the skillet.
– Fry the shallot until it takes golden color then add the mushroom slices and cook with stirring until no wet is left.
– Add the garlic and fry on medium heat then add the peas and carrots and fry until no water is left.
– Add the marsala wine, chicken broth cube, seasoning and around 2 cups of water.
– Bring the mixture to boil and then reduce the heat.
– When the liquid is reduced to a cup or two, add the chicken and cook on low heat for 15 minutes.
– At the end, you may like to add half-and-half cream, grated parmesan, fresh herbs, etc. You may also serve this dish with Fettuccine Alfredo pasta, fried potatoes or white rice.