Chicken penne pasta is a delicious Italian dish that you can prepare for most seasons, and with a variety of side dishes or salads. The dish contains different nutrients, protein and carbohydrates, which make it suitable as a quick lunch for the whole family.
– 500 gm of penne pasta.
– 4 chicken breasts, cubed or sliced.
– 250 gm of diced bacon “better be cooked in the microwave to crisp”.
– 500 gm of sliced mushrooms.
– 2 large shallots, thinly slices.
– 200 gm of sun-dried tomatoes.
– 1 tbsp of sun-dried tomato pesto.
– 4 fresh basil leaves.
– Salt and freshly ground pepper.
– 1 tsp of fresh herb or spice mix for cooking the chicken.
– ¼ cup of olive oil.
– ½ of sliced, pitted olives.
– ½ cup of grated parmesan for garnish.
– Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil then fry the onions while you boil the pasta. Make sure to stir the onions and pasta frequently, to prevent burning or sticking.
– While cooking, mix the chicken herbs or spices with some salt and rub the chicken pieces to flavor before cooking.
– When the onions are soft and golden, add the chicken pieces and fry all on high heat until the chicken are starting to take white color with golden edges.
– Add the mushrooms, basil leaves, tomatoes, pesto and diced bacon with ½ cup of water to generate a small amount of liquid.
– Cover the pan and cook the chicken with mushrooms for at least 15 minutes on medium heat, adding liquid when it needs, until all are finely cooked.
– At the end of cooking add the olive slices and cook for 5 more minutes.
– During that time, the pasta should be well done, and by then you should drain it and sprinkle some cold water to prevent sticking.
– Add the cooked pasta to the chicken pan, turn off the stove and stir all well to cover the pasta in tomato sauce.
– Serve with grated parmesan on top to garnish.