The classic Maryland crab cakes contain a bit different ingredients than those which we often try. What distinguishes Maryland crab cakes is using a lot of pure crab meat without additions to change the flavor. The Baltimore crab cake recipe contains eggs and bread crumbs just to blend the crab meat for frying.
– 1 pound of crab meat, make sure it is without any sharp pieces.
– 1 or 2 big eggs “use 2 if you want to increase the amount”
– ¼ cup of mayonnaise
– 2 tbs old bay seasoning
– 1 ¼ cups of bread crumbs “use a soft, white loaf and soak in a bit of milk before using”
– butter or oil for frying
– 2 tbs of Dijon mustard
– 2 tbs of freshly chopped parsley
– 1 tbs of lemon juice
My own additions to such recipe would be minced black olives, minced red onion, more parsley and cheddar cheese within the mix or to cover the hot crab cakes before serving. They will surely change the taste, but I like to try it in the pizza style.
– In a glass bowl, mix the ingredients softly with a spatula and be careful not to shred the crab meat into tiny pieces, just blend carefully until the ingredients are mixed.
– Shape into small patties, spread on a baking sheet covered with a foil layer, and chill for a few hours. You may put them in the freezer for 40 minutes instead.
– In a wide skillet, heat the butter or oil and fry the patties on both sides until they are light brown. Test with a fork for well-done cakes.
– Serve hot with chopper parsley, fried potatoes, tartar sauce or cheddar cheese on top.