Pickled eggplant with garlic and pepper is the loveliest appetizer for many people. They like to eat it with many dishes, salads and they sometimes serve it when they invite people for lunch. The recipe is too easy, but there no specific amount of stuffing; you decided if you want to fill the eggplant with stuffing or just want to give it a taste with slight amount.
This is actually the Egyptian recipe, which I always considered quick and easy. I used to prepare it just before the meals and consume within one week.
500 gm of fine, fresh eggplant
2 medium green peppers
1 medium red pepper
1 chili green pepper “or hot spice, for those who like hot taste”
Few cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
½ cup of white vinegar
2 tbsp of lemon juice
Cumin and salt
1 small leaf of red cabbage “minced”
– Remove the stems and rinse the eggplant.
– In this step you have two choices that depend basically on your taste; either to boil the eggplant for around 10 minutes, or to make a long opening in each and fry them.
– After the eggplant is cooked, prepare a glass bowl with lid; make sure it is clean and dry.
– Put the eggplant in a plate for a while to cool while preparing the stuffing.
– In a medium bowl, put the minced cabbage with the vinegar and lemon juice then stir it well to bring out the violet color of cabbage.
– Add the rest of ingredients, salt and spices then stir all together until well mixed. Add more ingredients if the mix is not sufficient or its juices won’t fully cover the eggplant.
– Sprinkle a few spoons of juices at the bottom of the bowl then arrange the first layer of eggplant – opening at the top.
– With a teaspoon, fill each eggplant with sufficient amount of stuffing.
– Layer the remaining eggplant and fill them then pour the rest of juices on top.
– Cover the bowl and let in the fridge for an hour or so, to allow the eggplant absorb the juice and flavor.