As we know, the red velvet cake recipe is essential for every lady who likes original, American dessert recipes. This recipe is supposed to include the frosting ingredients and how to decorate and layer the cake, but I abbreviated it for a basic cake recipe, so that you can layer, cut and decorate the cake the way you like, and also I didn’t want to make it a long, boring topic.
2 ½ cups of all purpose flour
2 eggs – use 3 for a more spongy texture
1 tsp of salt – optional
1 cup of buttermilk
½ tsp of baking soda
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1 cup of softened butter
2 cups of sugar
1 ½ tbsp of liquid, flavorless red food coloring
1 tbsp of cocoa powder
1 tsp of cider vinegar
– First of all, if you want to layer the cake and fill in between with cream, you should try dividing and baking the cake in 2 or 3 baking pans. This way will produce an even-shape, same-thickness cake layers, and hence your cake will look better. Also the velvet cake is not usually and easy-to-layer dessert as it may cut or shred while layering, so baking in several pans is much better.
– In a stand mixer bowl, mix the butter and sugar together until they produce a soft, creamy texture and the sugar is fully dissolved.
– Add one egg and process until fully mixed. Add the other egg and repeat.
– In a separate glass bowl, mix the red food coloring with the cocoa powder then add it to the butter mix and process again.
– In another bowl, sift the flour and salt together then slowly add the flour evenly with buttermilk to the stand mixer bowl while processing non-stop.
– After the ingredients are well-mixed and a soft batter forms, mix the baking soda and cider vinegar together in a small bowl. That mix is supposed to foam at once; add it immediately to the batter and process well.
– You may mix on medium-high speed until you are sure all are blended. You should have a thick batter “unlike the common cake batter”.
– Preheat the oven on 180 C, or 350 F, and grease 3 baking pans then flour them.
– Add the batter into each pan with a big spoon “because the batter is thick”. And finally pass with a spatula on each pan to make the cake surface smooth.
– Bake for 30 minutes, or until the cake is completely spongy “Test by pressing a spoon at the middle of each cake, it should spring up again”.
Let the cake to fully cool before decorating.