This seafood rice recipe contains shrimp, calamari, crap meat and lobster lumps, for those who like to enjoy a variety of ingredients with the delicious, spicy rice.
The way of cooking may differ a little bit, because crab and lobster lumps can’t be cooked with rice or they will shred and soften when you stir or toss the rice.
– 2 large red onions, thinly sliced.
– 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced.
– 1 medium carrot, grated.
– 1 medium onion, minced.
– 1 sweet red pepper, thinly sliced.
– 1 sweet green pepper, thinly sliced.
– 300 gm of large shrimp, vertically sliced or halved.
– 300 gm of thin calamari slices.
– 200 gm of crab meat lumps “or imitation crab”.
– 200 gm of lobster meat lumps.
– 200 gm of seashells “rinsed and shells removed”.
– 100 gm of octopus pieces.
– 500 gm of white rice.
– Vegetable oil for frying.
– 1 tsp of old bay seasoning.
– ½ tsp of ground cilantro.
– ½ tsp of ground cinnamon.
– ¼ tsp of ground clove.
– 4 cups of fish stock.
– ½ cup of cooking cream “optional”.
– Salt and freshly ground pepper.
– Fresh parsley for garnish.
– ¼ tsp of any spicy sauce you like “optional”.
– In a small pan, heat 3 tbsp of oil and fry the minced onion with grated carrot until they are dark and soft.
– Rinse the rice then drain the water while frying the onion.
– When the rice is a bit dry, add it to the onion and stir well on high heat to coat the rice.
– After 2 minutes, the rice is supposed to turn into bright white, taking a light golden shade. At this stage add the ground cilantro, ground cinnamon, ground clove, spicy sauce and suitable amount of salt.
– Stir all for a minute or so on medium or low heat until the rice takes a dark color and the aroma starts to appear.
– Add 3 cups of stock and stir well then bring the mixture to boil.
– Cook for a few minutes until the liquid is absorbed then lower the heat and cook for 20 more minutes or until the rice is well done.
– While the rice is being cooked, bring a large pan, add 4 tbsp of oil and fry the sliced onions with juliened pepper on high heat. Keep frying until there is no more moisture coming out of the vegetables then add the celery and fry for 2 minutes.
– At the following stage we will add only the octopus, shrimp and calamari, until they are half-cooked. Make sure to fry on high heat, to avoid too much moisture in the pan.
– Add the other seafood lumps then fry on high heat while you sprinkle the old bay seasoning and some ground pepper.
– When the seafood starts to cook well, it will shrink, darken and the shrimp becomes hard while the crab becomes a bit tender. At this stage, lower the heat to medium, add the remaining 1 cup of stock with some salt and cook on high heat until the liquid is reduced to minimum and the ingredients are well done.
– Stir the cooking cream and turn off the stove.
– Serve above the rice platter with parsley garnish.