Stuffed garlic bread is one of the most delicious sandwiches that you make with a variety of ingredients according to your taste and also the occasion. For example, you can prepare it for a picnic, for a party, as an appetizer or just a snack to enjoy in winter.
This lovely snack is better served warm, as the stuffing is usually made of cheese and herbs, cheese and vegetables, fried eggs or chicken stuffing. The varieties are endless, but in all cases it is better to serve it warm.
– French baguette bread. If this bread is not available, use round loafs, countryside bread or puff pastry dough that you shape into 10 cm width, 20 cm long loafs. As for me, I adore the puff pastry and find it easier to stuff it.
– Cheese, such as mozzarella, cheddar or brie.
– Diced pepper; green, red and yellow to give your snack a nice style.
– Minced garlic, for top and also for filling.
– Olive oil, to brush the top.
– Diced chicken, beef, or cold cuts.
– Chopped herbs, like basil, watercress, oregano, peppermint and parsley.
– Chopped broil eggs, or fried eggs.
– Sliced green olives.
– Choose which of the above ingredients you’d like to use and determine the desired amount of cheese. If you’re making fried eggs, it is better to fry an onion first then add olives, chicken or any filling you like to sauté for a few minutes before you fry them with the eggs. You may use plain omelet with slices of cheese and olives for a quick filling.
– Mix the filling ingredients in a bowl, season with salt and pepper then a tbsp of olive oil, if green olives are not included. You may like to add garlic powder or ½ tsp of garlic to flavor the filling.
– Shape the pastry in the size mentioned above, leaving enough dough to fold and seal at the sides after you spread the filling “like closing an opened book”.
– Using a spoon, spread enough amount of filling on the dough, fold the side and seal the dough well by pressing on the sides or making tiny diagonal folds along the sides.
– In a small bowl, mix 2 tbsp of olive oil with 1 tbsp of minced garlic or garlic powder and fresh thyme. Brush a baking sheet with that mix and put the stuffed pastry on it then brush the top and sides with that mix, or just pour the remaining amount evenly on the surface.
– Bake the puff pastry for around 20 minutes in a preheated oven or until it takes dark golden color. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.