For thanksgiving and Christmas, I used to stuff turkey or chicken with rice and vegetables instead of the toasted bread. It really tastes delicious, and even more suitable for veggies and nuts. This thanksgiving stuffing recipe is one of the quick and easy recipes, in which you can use whatever vegetables you like.
– 2 small cups of rice.
– 1 cup of diced giblets “livers and gizzards”.
– 1 cup of peas and carrots.
– ½ cup of chopped onions.
– ½ cup of chopped celery.
– 1 cup of toasted pecans “or any available nuts”.
– 1 tbsp of fresh thyme.
– Salt and pepper.
– 3 cups of chicken broth.
– 2 crushed cardamom buds.
– ½ cup of toasted pine nuts.
– 3 tbsp of butter.
– In a non-stick skillet, melt the butter and fry the onions and celery on high heat for 3 minutes. When they are golden and tender, add the giblets and keep frying until all juices are gone.
– Season with fresh thyme, pepper and cardamom then fry on medium heat for a few more minutes.
– When the giblets are well-fried, add the peas and carrots, salt, pine nuts and 1 cup of broth. Bring the mixture to boil for a few minutes, or until the broth is reduced.
– Add the toasted pecans, rice and 2 cups of broth then stir all well on high heat. When the broth boils, cook on medium or low heat until the rice soaks up all broth “around 20 to 30 minutes”.
– Serve under turkey, or stuff it inside just before serving.