I always had thoughts about making vanilla cookies that I can keep in the fridge for the whole month and enjoy every morning with milk while watching a nice movie or reading a magazine. My biggest concern was how to make crunchy cookies, without adding yeast, as I had not experience in baking cookies by then. I thought of using the common baking powder bags, which I used for making cake, and my vanilla cookies were finally successful and satisfying.
Try out these ingredients for quick vanilla cookies, and you may add fruit pieces or crushed nuts. You may find a biscuit-like result, but it is alright… it will taste good in all cases.
– 500 gm of all purpose flour.
– 150 gm of butter.
– 200 gm of sugar “increase 50 gm, if you like sweet biscuits”
– 2 eggs.
– ¼ tbsp of vanilla.
– 5 to 10 tbsp of milk “as the dough takes”
– 1 bag of baking powder “around 1 tsp”.
Note: If you don’t have a baking machine, use the electric whisker for the first steps.
– In a deep bowl, put the butter “in room temperature” with the sugar and whisk until they form a creamy texture. Add the eggs, baking powder and vanilla then keep whisking until all are fully mixed. Make sure that the sugar is melted.
Note: At this stage, it is better to whisk for a minute or two, to allow more air bubbling in the texture. This is supposed to enhance the baking powder job.
– Start with 5 tbsp of milk and whisk for a few seconds then start adding the flour gradually while whisking non stop. Increase the amount of milk, if the dough is too tight to shape.
– You may start mixing with your hands at this stage by adding the rest amount of flour, turning and squeezing the dough with your hands to distribute the flour and mix into the dough. Add a few more tbsp of milk, if needed.
– After the flour is fully distributed and no lumps have formed, the dough should be shapeable and non-sticky.
– Let the dough in the fridge for 5 minutes to tighten its texture and make it easier to shape. Prepare a large baking sheet and start heating the oven to 180 degrees C.
– Take small pieces of the dough, make each as a small ball and start shaping thin cookies. Line the cookies on the baking sheet and bake for 3 minutes on 180, then bake for 10 minutes on 150.
– Test the cooking with a fork, and you can let it for a few more minutes until you smell the cookies odor from the oven.
Important note: Never leave the cookies in the oven until they are fully hardened. This is a huge mistake that results in very hard cookies, when they are in room temperature. So, take them from the oven when they are still a bit tender at the middle and a bit harder at the edges. Otherwise, you will regret eating awful, hard biscuits.