My vegetable rice turkey stuffing is a recipe that I tried last year for Christmas. I cooked it separately then I stuffed the bird directly after it was baked. The stuffing is one of the best rice recipes ever, and you can make it with common rice or long grain rice. For the vegetable ingredients, I used only potatoes with frozen peas and carrots. I actually like this special mix, but I you want to use more; you can add mushrooms, broccoli, celery, etc…
– 2 cups of short grain rice.
– 1 large onion.
– 1 stock pot cube.
– 2 tbsp of powder milk.
– ½ cup of raisins “soaked in water over night”.
– 1 ½ cup of peas and carrots.
– 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed.
– 5 cooked chicken livers.
– 4 slices of boneless chicken breast.
– ½ cup of chopped nuts.
– Salt, pepper, cumin, Chinese cubeb, clove and cardamom.
– 2 tsp of turmeric.
– 2 tbsp of butter.
– 3 tbsp of vegetable oil.
– Rinse the rice with water then let it for a few minutes to dry at the top.
– In a suitable pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil with 2 tbsp of butter then fry the rice on medium heat until it starts to dry and take a light cream color. Make sure not to burn the butter and not to wait until the rice takes golden color.
– At the end of frying, add ¼ tsp of ground cardamom and ½ tsp of ground Chinese cubed, with 3 buds of clove. Keep frying until the rice is well flavored then add 3 cups of water and the stock pot cube.
– When the water is hot, but not boiling yet, add 1 tsp of turmeric and 2 tbsp of powder milk then season with salt. Stir the rice to dissolve the milk and stock pot cube, then cover and cook for medium heat until the water is absorbed. Continue cooking on low heat for 20 minutes, with a metal sheet under the pan.
– While the rice is being cooked, chop the large and onion and cube the chicken fillet then fry the onion on high heat in the remaining vegetable oil.
– When the onion is golden, add the chicken cubes, some pepper and cardamom and keep frying until the chicken is white and tight “or half cooked”.
– Add the peas and carrots with the potatoes and sauté all for a minute or two on high heat. Add the raisins, with their water, and season with salt and turmeric then cook on high heat until the water starts to dry. If the ingredients were not fully cooked by then, add more water and keep cooking.
– At the end of cooking and just before the water dries, chop the cooked livers into medium pieces and toss them into the vegetable mix.
– Turn off the stove, leaving some sauce over the vegetables to give flavor to the livers and color to the rice stuffing.
– With a large spoon, toss the rice and vegetables with nuts until all the stuffing ingredients are mixed, then stuff the bird or serve it in a separate platter.