Vegetable soup with chicken livers is one of my favorite winter soups, and actually dinners. This recipe is too nutritious, especially for kids, as the chicken livers are rich in iron and selenium while the vegetables provide a wide range of elements that the body needs. In addition to all these benefits, this soup is suitable for patients with anemia, high blood pressure, heart problems, and digestive system problems as well. You can make it as a warming snack, when you have cold or flu.
As for the chicken livers, it is much better to buy a big amount, like 2 kg, and store it in the freezer for later use. I usually thaw around 10 livers and cook them with any fresh chicken I buy; then I use them for other dishes that require simmered livers instead of fried ones.
– 8 cooked chicken livers, and 4 cups of the broth.
– 1 ½ cup of peas and carrots.
– 1 cup of chopped green beans.
– ½ cup of cooked white beans.
– 2 medium zucchinis, cut into thick slices.
– 1 big potato, peeled and cut into small cubes.
– 2 cups of broccoli florets , or cauliflower.
– 4 small onions.
– 1 cup of fresh, sliced mushrooms.
– 1 tbsp of flour “optional”.
– ¼ cup of cooking cream “optional”.
– Salt, black pepper, cumin, cardamom and curry.
– Vegetable oil.
Note: Instead of the mushrooms, flour and cream, you can add a can of creamy mushroom soup.
– As the livers were already simmered in chicken broth, just cut them into halves or big pieces and let them aside.
– After you peel and rinse the onions, wedge or quarter them then separate their layers.
– Bring a big pan, add 2 tbsp of oil and fry the onion layers on high heat “with fresh mushrooms, if they exist”.
– When brown patches show on the onions layers and at the edges, crush 4 buds of cardamom and add them with a dash of black pepper. Fry for a minute or two to flavor the soup.
– If you’re going to use flour and mushrooms instead of canned mushroom soup, you should add the flour with the spices.
– If you’re not using flour, add the broth and vegetables then season with salt and a dash of cumin and curry. Cook for 8 minutes on high heat.
– Add the chicken livers, salt, creamy mushroom soup and stir all well then continue cooking on medium heat for 10 minutes. Lower the heat and keep cooking until the veggies are well done. You may add some water if the soup is reduced in the pan.